Author Topic: Hello Everyone ! Im New.  (Read 565 times)

Offline Lootenant Pigeon

• View Profile
Hello Everyone ! Im New.
« on: December 27, 2009, 08:01:38 pm »
Hello folks. Just joined today having checked out the site a few times plus having looked at all the brilliant pics of IAC planes. Im from Derry, in me 40s and I still live here. Im an aircraft nut of course and a keen modeller, just finished the Heller kit of the IAC Fouga Magister 1/72 scale and its number 220. I have to say I have always been immensely proud that we have our own Air Force and I have always taken a keen interest in it. Its great to finally find a site where other like minded persons reside.

I love the PC-9s and was very sorry to hear about the recent accident, God rest the pilots and may their families find peace. I have a few questions about the IAC as presently constituted but I will post those later. Regards to you all and a Happy New Year.

Paul.  :airforce_smiley:
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 08:04:53 pm by Lootenant Pigeon »

Fouga

Re: Hello Everyone ! Im New.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 11:24:37 pm »
Hi Paul,

Let me be the first to say welcome to WAP, and we hpe to give you and recieve from you any and all positive information.

Happy Christmas and New Year,

Kind regards,

Dave.

Offline CK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 05:29:57 pm »
Welcome and a Happy New Year.

Offline Lootenant Pigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 11:51:23 pm »

Thanks Dave and CK. So heres the first of a few questions. Are the people on the board mostly ex or serving IAC personnel or enthusiasts or just a mixture of all types ? Also how much did the PC9s cost per aircraft ? I think I read somewhere that it was a 60 million euro deal for 8 planes plus support and logistics etc, is that right ?

If that is the case then each PC9 cost about 5 or 6 million Euro - depending on the cost of other elements of the support package. Am I right ? Finally, I know there is an airstrip at Finner in Donegal, can the PC9s operate in and out of there or have they done so already ? Just wondering about that cos I drive past Finner now and again on business. Thanks for any answers lads.

Paul  :airforce_cool:

Fouga

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 06:19:00 pm »

Thanks Dave and CK. So heres the first of a few questions. Are the people on the board mostly ex or serving IAC personnel or enthusiasts or just a mixture of all types ?

A very fine mix of both! :biggrin:

Also how much did the PC9s cost per aircraft ? I think I read somewhere that it was a 60 million euro deal for 8 planes plus support and logistics etc, is that right ?

If that is the case then each PC9 cost about 5 or 6 million Euro - depending on the cost of other elements of the support package. Am I right ?

I cant possibly say as i dont know exactly but im sure you will get a good reply to this.

Finally, I know there is an airstrip at Finner in Donegal, can the PC9s operate in and out of there or have they done so already ? Just wondering about that cos I drive past Finner now and again on business. Thanks for any answers lads.

( EIFR ) Finner is long gone ( 2003 ? ) and is now in the care of the Irish Army, i think the only fixed wing operator of Finner was the IAC Cessna's and then it would have been Alouette's and Dauphin's on SAR Duty but i am open to correction about that, i have never seen Cessna's at Finner though? Infact come to think of it i have never even seen a proper aerial shot of Finner either.

Offline Lootenant Pigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 11:10:52 pm »

Thanks Fouga / Dave

I knew Finner is an Army Camp but I saw helicopters going in there one day some years back, I also saw a Cessna ( I think it was ) on the tarmac. You can see the main airstrip from the main road between Donegal Town and Sligo. You cant miss it, so I just wondered could the PC9s use it. Actually it runs parallel with the road. All good craic !  :airforce_cool:

Offline heligaz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 12:30:12 am »
Hi Guys,

I'm nearly sure that it was about €60 million Euro for the eight PC-9Ms as well as the flight simulator and support services for the fleet. I've never heard of any of pc9s landing in finner camp.

Heligaz

Offline Lootenant Pigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 12:52:22 am »

Thanks Heligaz. Now heres another really stupid question to which I think I know the answer already. Do you think there would be any chance of getting on the PC9 simulator for an hour sometime just to see what having a go at flying a PC9 is like ?