Author Topic: Throttle position at cruise  (Read 307 times)

Offline thurian

• View Profile
Throttle position at cruise
« on: June 08, 2010, 09:40:57 pm »
I was just viewing some of my vids on youtube and started thinking (Me? Thinking?? :yikes:)
The BA 777 that crashed at Heathrow had its throttles at 5% when they discovered they'd no power,
so they'd descended from FL35-39 without needing more power, fair enough if you're on a glideslope.
At what position would the throttles be in "cruise" at that altitude for a triple 7? And in a similar vein, Do the flightcrew of a 320/321 push to 100% for takeoff and then pull it back as the flaps are retracted and what position are the throttles (very old fashioned term!) in when flying at FL35 for a 320?
I love the sound of a 320's engines! much nicer than a 738's. Why?

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
Re: Throttle position at cruise
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 10:04:29 pm »
Hi there,
The throttles at cruise are at less than 50% power, depending on altitude and air temperature.For take-off, all jets use a reduced power setting, depending on actual weight and air temperature/density and runway length. A typical A320 power setting for take-off would be about 86%, ie, there is no need to use more than that power setting to get off at the appropriate speed, considering the above factors.Once the aircraft has rotated and climbed, the pilots follow what is known as the flap schedule, to decide when to bring in the flaps/slats, such as reducing to climb power at 1500 feet, pitching down to maintain 190 knots and bring in the first stage of flap, ie, from Flap 5 to Flap 1 and then, at 3000 feet, flap 1 to zero along with a pitchdown to maintain 210 knots.
The A320 has a slightly different fan to the 737-800, which is why there is a slight noise difference.The core engines are pretty much the same.
regards
GttC