Author Topic: Aerial Photos of Gormanston?  (Read 2889 times)

Offline Morpheus

• View Profile
Aerial Photos of Gormanston?
« on: February 15, 2011, 03:30:15 pm »
hi all,

Looking for some aerial photos of gormanston (EIGN).

Tried OSI but theyre a little bit blurry.

Doesnt really matter what year but a color photo or two from last 10 - 12 years would be ideal.

Can anyone help?

regards
Morph

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
Re: Aerial Photos of Gormanston?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 03:55:44 pm »
hi all,

Looking for some aerial photos of gormanston (EIGN).

Tried OSI but theyre a little bit blurry.

Doesnt really matter what year but a color photo or two from last 10 - 12 years would be ideal.

Can anyone help?

Try using the search button

regards
Morph

Offline Morpheus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 09:17:32 am »
Thanks for the helpful post.

I had actually used the search function before I posted this query, all I can find are one or two aerial photos of other locations but not gormo.

Online Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishairpics.com
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 11:15:20 am »
Did you by any chance try Google Earth?

Google Earth has a function where you can change from looking at the most recent picture to one from history. I don't know if there any historical satellite pictures of Gormanston but it could be worth a shot.

You could always try asking the Air Corps Photo Section.

Regards,

Frank.
IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation photographs
http://www.irishairpics.com

Online Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishairpics.com
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 12:56:30 pm »
Never mind the above suggestion about historical photos on Google Earth, nothing there I'm afraid.  :airforce_sad:
IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation photographs
http://www.irishairpics.com

Offline Machlooper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 05:36:16 pm »
I doubt very much that photo section will give out images of what's still classed as a secure location. The photos  requested may be old and a present day low Rez image may be seen on Google but that's besides the point.
The layout of the camp may be known to the public but the Defence Forces are not gonna just hand out aerial photos of it  :police:

Offline Ascot 1960

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 07:53:37 pm »
I know this not what you’re after, but you may find it of interest. Photo of Gormanston. This aerial photograph shows No. 22 Training Depot Station, Gormanston taken on 26 Oct, 1918. The photo is of great interest as it shows not only the typical layout of a TDS, with the three pairs of permanent hangars and the single Aeroplane Repair Shed with the technical buildings and the camp to the rear, but also temporary canvas bessoneau hangars at either end. In the original print, no less than 13 Avro 504s are visible on the aerodrome.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 08:03:24 pm by Ascot 1960 »

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 09:08:02 pm »
Apologies Morpheus, but i found one posted by Joe Mac Dermott (a few years ago) showing the X's on the disused runway. When i tried to locate it again it wont come up, it was not showing any of the military installations only the disused runway.
Frank!!!!!!!!!
Tony K

Offline Claudel Hopson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 09:10:50 pm »
Ascot hate to disappoint you but that's Baldonnel. I recognise the road layout behind the hangars as you look at the pic, drive it everyday, and what looks like the train tracks off in the distance is the line that goes through Hazelhatch.

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 10:17:04 pm »
That's Gormansburgh CH,  look at No 2 hangar second from right is set in line with the three other hangars. at Baldonnel engineering wing hangar is set back to the road rather than the tarmac.
Tony K

Offline Machlooper

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 10:39:16 pm »
Jaysis its a carbon copy of Bal!!  :airforce_shock: Only for that feature you pointed out Tony, I wouldnt have know, though I couldnt make out the square either.

Offline Irish251

• Premium Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 12:36:39 am »
Apologies Morpheus, but i found one posted by Joe Mac Dermott (a few years ago) showing the X's on the disused runway. When I tried to locate it again it wont come up, it was not showing any of the military installations only the disused runway.
Frank!!!!!!!!!
Tony K

I think this is the thread you mention, Tony (see reply 12).

http://www.worldairpics.com/forum/index.php?topic=1910.0

Offline Ascot 1960

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 12:58:17 am »
 Yes Tony is right, Gormanston. Just thought I would post the two maps of Baldonnel and Gormanston from the same time (1918) each of the four Irish TDS was built to exactly the same specificattions. Collinstown was the largest of the four, being 234 acres in size. Cookstown (Tallaght) was 231 acres, Gormanston 218 acres and Baldonnel 203 acres. The layout of the four stations around Dublin and Meath were the same.
The layout was six aeroplane hangars (or sheds, as they were then known) each 170 feetx100 feet, built in three pairs plus other technical buildings. Standard design was also a cost saving excises by the UK. They did the same in the 1930s during the final phase of the RAF’s inter-war evolution known as the Expansion in the UK although by then Hangar design was much more up to date. The hangars built in Ireland around the time of the First World War were of single brick with an expected short life span, but as we all known the ones at Baldonnel lasted a little longer!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 01:30:13 am by Ascot 1960 »

Offline Morpheus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 10:19:58 am »
No problem Tony, thanks for the help lads.

Yes am in RDF so have requested up the chain of command for photos for an upcoming ex. this will probably get lost in the process.

Someone who has a copy is going hopefully to provide me with an A3 photo.

We train there almost all of the time so this is a good aid to use along with map models, drawings etc and as an example of the kind of intel that troops need to request/use when planning operations. Im not looking for sensitive information about locations of specific buildings/equipment etc and can provide credentials by PM or email to prove my name rank etc if anyone has any doubt.

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 10:47:38 am »

I think this is the thread you mention, Tony (see reply 12).

http://www.worldairpics.com/forum/index.php?topic=1910.0

That's the one Fergal, thanks, it takes an expert!
Tony K

Morpheus, it is a difficult one, I cannot put up pictures of Gormo as it is still active even though my pictures predate the permanent runway. Not sure exactly what area you want but perhaps a cropped picture just showing the hangars and the immediate frontal area to the grass? In fact this shows very little difference to the photo in RAF/RFC times posted by Ascot.
Tony K