Author Topic: Getting paid for your photo's. (how much is it worth?)  (Read 989 times)

Offline thurian

• View Profile
Getting paid for your photo's. (how much is it worth?)
« on: June 19, 2011, 01:07:47 pm »
One of my photo's has been used on the front page of The Irish Times Business section. I was contacted for permission which I duly gave and was told I'd be credited for the picture and be paid, I'm delighted with the pic being shown (They've superimposed a person onto the pic but that doesn't matter to me) but I'm wondering how much I'll get paid for it as I didn't agree any price (I assume they have a set rate for that type of photo?)
I know it won't be much but has anybody had a photo used by a national paper and been paid for it?

Offline Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishairpics.com
Re: Getting paid for your photo's. (how much is it worth?)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 01:26:10 pm »
Well done on having a picture published!

From my limited dealings with the non-tabloid newspapers they have set rates and should contact you in due course, otherwise you can contact either the person who requested the photo or the paper's photo desk. The payment is possibly somewhere in or around €50, maybe a bit higher.

As for tabloids, you're lucky if you even get a credit...
IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation photographs
http://www.irishairpics.com

Offline Joe McDermott

• Screener
    • View Profile
    • None
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 01:35:39 pm »
All print media have a rack rate if price not agreed & will depend on size of photo printed. Make sure you have supplied them with your full name & address. Also email address. check with whoever made initial contact with you for their accounts contact phone & email details.

Generally I have found tabloids pay more than broadsheets !

O, & congrats.

Joe

Offline thurian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 01:40:10 pm »
Cheers guys, might buy myself a couple of filters!

Offline Machlooper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 02:34:16 pm »
Congrats.
Sorry to be a fly in the ointment but I assume it's an aircraft image?
If so I would be very carefull what one sends to the papers, in particular the tabloids.
It is widely known among the military aviation photographers at this stage about the 'Im with Stupid' inncident in the UK last year. A seemingly innocent photo was sold to the tabloids to make a quick 'buck' and it, apparently, cost one of the aircrew a command post and was used extensively as ammo by lobbyists wishing to ban the military from training in a certain area. It happened again a few months ago where an image was sold , by an experienced photographer I must say, and it caused uproar because the tabloids took it and put their own spin on the photo.
Aviation magazines are a different story. They know the score when it comes to PR.  If the image fits, they'll use it appropriately.
It's the same with any photo I suppose. The papers don't care what the photo is or the consequences as long as
they sell copies.
Just to note, I'm in no way putting down the selling of images just using the opportunity to highlight how ruthless the papers can be.

Cheers and hope they get back to you.

Offline Joe McDermott

• Screener
    • View Profile
    • None
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 02:51:44 pm »
Well said Machlooper.

A few golden rules when dealing with any press/publishers.

Never grant permission for photo that could embarress pilot/crew/operator/passenger
Never grant permission for photo with people included without expressed permission from all of them.
Agree context in which photo can be used.
Agree single or multi use
If in doubt refuse permission, more ofter than not the best course of action.

Frankly, I have had more photos lifted without permission than requested but have always followed up. Many others on this forum will have had the same experience.

Joe

Offline thurian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 03:06:41 pm »
The pic in question. http://www.irishairpics.com/photo/1040908/M/

Firstly, I don't "sell" my pics anywhere. I reckon the reason mine was picked is because its the most recent? It's certainly not the pick of the bunch.

Thanks for the pointers though, I'll try and remember them when Rueters are bombarding me with offers;D

Offline Joe McDermott

• Screener
    • View Profile
    • None
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 03:10:51 pm »
Nice photo Thurian.

Joe

Offline Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishairpics.com
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 04:06:00 pm »
Remember to buy a copy of the paper and keep it, always nice to have copies of your published work.
IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation photographs
http://www.irishairpics.com

Offline Machlooper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 04:08:00 pm »
Firstly, I don't "sell" my pics anywhere.

I apologise if I offended you in any way, I understand the paper asked you for use of the image . Just generalising as to how things go at times in this game.
I've had an image used in Flight magazine as an advert for the Empire Test Pilots School. I didn't want payment, just as long as they accredited the image to me.
I hastily flicked through the mag and found the ad, I looked carefully and upon putting the page under an electron microscope, found my name  :airforce_undecided:

Cheers

Offline Ascot 1960

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 04:28:45 pm »
Hi Thurian,  Just a note....see your photo http://www.irishairpics.com/photo/1040908/M/
was used to in the Sunday Times Business section today (19/6/2011) 'Nama grounds plane used by Mansfield in ownership dispute' on page one of the Business section.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 02:25:21 am by Ascot 1960 »

Offline Irish251

• Premium Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 09:54:41 pm »
A few years ago the ST (Irish edition) used a photo of mine without my permission (they cited deadline reasons) but were quite happy to pay up afterwards.

Offline thurian

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 03:21:43 pm »
Thanks for all the replies lads, I said at the top of the page that it was the Irish Times, I mixed the two papers up, it is indeed (as Ascot has pointed out) the Sunday Times. Not a particularly nice rag, seem to take a perverse pleasure in the woes of Ireland and Europe/Euro in general.