Author Topic: Typhoon over Dublin?  (Read 629 times)

Offline P.Doff

• View Profile
Typhoon over Dublin?
« on: August 07, 2003, 01:06:26 pm »
One of the lads was tellin me that his elderly mother and Father rang him last nite to ask if there were any unusual aircraft in the don!! On asking why, the reply was "Oh, this arrow shaped plane flew over the city,up the liffey very fast!" So what you might say? On meeting his mother later she had done a rough sketch, which showed that it was delta form with canards?? "OH, and it was a greyish colour".his mother added!! (Their neigbours had all seen it aswell).
Now not knowing much about A/C Im sure it could have been anything they seen, but the drawing and the colour suggest modern fighter A/C!
Nothin came into the Don and I heard nothin about it!
Can anyone shed some light?? Could it have been a "Starship", as it may have looked grey in the hazy conditions?

Fouga

Typhoon over Dublin?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2003, 09:16:28 pm »
Maybe it could have been a french Rafale or Jas Gripen as they are basically the same shape as the EF Typhoon!!! Ask the guys in Bal as they would have had to be in contact with a foreign Mil aircraft.

Offline P.Doff

• View Profile
Typhoon over Dublin?
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2003, 04:21:06 pm »
Havnt heard anytin since about this A/C but my sources across the pond reveal that a Typhoon(s) are operating out of Valley over the next couple of weeks! By the way, FRANK,there is a photocall in RAF Valley this Friday, which includes the Typhoon among various other RAF and foreign A/C!! This is a ticket only affair and there were 40 left when I spoke to my contact over there the other day!!
Just a thought for you ,though I know its at short notice!

Offline Imshi-Yallah

• View Profile
Typhoon over Dublin?
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2003, 09:11:50 am »
He is the guys in Bal.
The Rafale and Gripen have a very different profile to the Typhoon and Gripen.
‘The hottest place in hell is for those who are neutral’
Dante Alighieri

Fouga

Typhoon over Dublin?
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2003, 02:58:42 pm »
No not really as they both have canards and it was a civvy who saw them so it is open to suggestion

Offline Imshi-Yallah

• View Profile
Typhoon over Dublin?
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2003, 03:54:04 pm »
the Mig 1.42 and the S-37 Berkut have canards as well but the rest of the airframes are significantly different enough for even an amateur eye to be able to describe.
Besides, Gripen is a single engine dlight fighter, not likely to go for a jaunt out over the atlantic, Rafale is currently being flown intensively in france and has no european training or marketing possibilities for the next 5 years.
On the other hand the RAF operate Typhoons right next door to us and they are long ranged twin engined air superiority monsters.
‘The hottest place in hell is for those who are neutral’
Dante Alighieri