Author Topic: RAF/Air Corps mission  (Read 548 times)

Offline P.Doff

• View Profile
RAF/Air Corps mission
« on: January 01, 2005, 12:35:12 pm »
Happy New year to you all!!
2005 got off to a busy start here in the Don when a Swiss climber went missing in Kerry. The search was so vast that the RAF mountain rescue team were drafted in with their dogs from Wales. The Sea King that dropped them off came in on cue amid the fireworks of the city just after midnight. It dropped off the team and their dogs who then flew on to Cork(?) by CASA.Dont know how they went on from there??
Goes to show that while all the civvies were revelling away that the Aircorps and our RAF buddies were still on the ball to help yet another lost soul.
Dont think they found the guy as yet, lets hope hes safe as it would be tragic to be the first statistic of '05.

Offline Silver

• View Profile
RAF/Air Corps mission
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2005, 02:22:46 pm »
Yes, lets hope that he is found safe and well.

Offline Bitch

• View Profile
RAF/Air Corps mission
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005, 04:28:16 pm »
Good Man P.Doff, ya got it wrong from the start. Firstly he is Sweedish and not Swiss. I would not like to embarrass you with the "revellers" stats. for New Years Eve/Day. Were you aware of what was actually going on in the real world of rescue that night and day or have you just got the blinkered view. Did it occur to you that a light Aircraft had issued a May Day at the same time that the Mountain Rescue teams were requesting Heli assistance and an ICG Heli tailed him until safe on land, and bearing in mind that the ICG heli was operational all day in Kerry, and a search was underway off Kinsale to boot. Will I keep going P.Doff. There is no, and I stress NO, time off in Civil SAR it's a 24/7 operation, so there was no revelling for the DUTY crews that night or any other night for that matter. Come and join real SAR P.Doff and you might then remove your tunnelled view of what SAR is all about.
Its nice though to see the IAC involved in operations with civil agencies, and long may it live.

Offline clan

• View Profile
RAF/Air Corps mission
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2005, 09:33:34 pm »
I think what PDoff meant by Civvies was the ordinary Folk, Jo soap. I certainly did not read or think he implied anywhere on his post that he meant ICG or any Civil defence were revelling away that day/Night
Who mentioned Jets

Offline Silver

• View Profile
RAF/Air Corps mission
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 12:37:49 am »
I too read P Doffs post as meaning 'joe public'.
He was just letting us know that the AC is there 24/7, as some may have a different perception of the Corps.

Coast Guard and Air Corps personnel deserve equal praise for their sterling work !

Offline John K

• View Profile
    • MSN
RAF/Air Corps mission
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2005, 02:42:44 pm »
Jeez, Bitch were you involved in all that on new years eve/day? You never worked that much in all your years in the 'Don, did you?
You're right, though about how something always gets blown out of proportion in there, not to say that anything baldonnel gets involved in is not serious, it's just that there's so much routine that when something does occur out of the ordinary it does make you sit up and it's then the talk for ages!
I reckon I learnt more, technically, (and did more, but that's another story, 'cos I was a lazy MoFo!) in my first year or two at British Airways than I did in the 9 years I was in the 'Don.
I wouldn't have changed anything though, I'd never have met blokes like you, would I?
Hopefully I'll get to visit you soon, Happy New Year to all you SAR lads, JK
Oh yeah and don't forget to wash your hands before eating your sandwiches, not like J Ke*ne did after pulling a body out of the sea!

Offline P.Doff

• View Profile
RAF/Air Corps mission
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2005, 01:41:21 pm »
Listen ,Bitch, Firstly, we were told Swiss at the time, and yes I meant normal joe soap civvies!! I have great respect for any aircrews operating in any SAR role whether they be civvie or not,get off that soapbox and come on board the team, we all have a role to play!!
By the way, the ICG were tasked with flying to Valley to pick the rescue team up but couldnt do so which is why the RAF had to give them a lift, so as you can see teamwork across the board is the way to go, not "bitchin" about who does "Real SAR". I think the many people who have been rescued by the IAC and of course the ex- SAR crews would have plenty tio say to you about "Real SAR", they deserve more respect than that!!