Author Topic: Gormo Summer Shoot  (Read 1131 times)

Offline 202

• View Profile
Gormo Summer Shoot
« on: July 18, 2005, 11:53:01 am »
See the standard warning notices regarding exercises on the Gormanstown range next week ... does anybody know if this is just the Reserve Defence Forces AA Batteries summer shoot or is there more Pilatus practice scheduled?

Offline 202

• View Profile
Gormo Summer Shoot
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 01:11:20 pm »
Any wisdom on this?

Offline Eddie Dillon

• View Profile
    • www.shannonairport.pro.ie
Gormo Summer Shoot
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 01:18:18 am »
Hi 202,
It was an RDF and PDF shoot. The 1 (PDF), 2, 3 and 4 (all RDF) AD Batteries. The drogues were towed by a Cessna. The PC-9s didn't make any appearance at all.

Offline John K

• View Profile
    • MSN
Gormo Summer Shoot
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 10:43:36 pm »
Eddie Dillon? You're not 'Jock' Dillon by any chance, ex Sgt from the hostel back in the '70s?

Offline 202

• View Profile
Gormo Summer Shoot
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 10:50:47 am »
Thanks for the reply Eddie, what are they (Air Corps and AA batteries) going to do for a range if Gormanstown is built on as seems certain now from recent government announcement on increasing housing supply?

Offline davedublin

• View Profile
Gormo Summer Shoot
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 08:21:12 pm »
i was talking to pc-9 pilots at RIAT. said i had seen this ad in the papers. the lads said that pc-9s wont b up there till later, mayb oct or november

Offline Eddie Dillon

• View Profile
Gormo Summer Shoot
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 01:57:15 am »
I'm not him John K unfortunately! Eddie's not even my name! The ad in the papers made it seem as if the Air Corps would be firing also which wasn't the case.

With regard to where the ADR and the Air Corps would conduct future shoots, I don't honestly know. From what I've gathered we'll just find somewhere else. I've heard Donegal mentioned a few times as a possible location but that's just idle speculation. Any ideas from anyone here?

Bear in mind though the talk of selling Gormanston has been going on for years so even though it seems certain it will come to pass, it might be another while yet before it happens and we have to worry about moving on.

Offline 202

• View Profile
Gormo Summer Shoot
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 10:18:34 am »
Point taken Eddie, there is always talk about this sort of thing but the wheels of bureaucracy move slowly. That said, the prospect of Gormo being converted to housing has been given added impetus by a recent Government initiative on affordable housing and, in fairness, Gormo would be a dead ringer for same given that the site straddles a suburban rail connection to Dublin.

Incidently, on this point, is there any liasion arrangement between firing control at Gormo and the railway signalling people as presumably you cannot have aircraft flying in over the line with guns armed in the event that a premature discharge ends up in an unintentional strafing of a passing train. Ditto with the AA guns presumably they must cease firing on the approach of a train on this quite busy line? So is there any liasion arrangement in place?

As regards your mention of Donegal as a possible alternative range, the only significan Defence property there is at Finner camp where there is an infantry training area in the dunes. And the immediate coastal area there is not subject to much in the way of sailing or boat use. That said, the proximity of Bundoran town would probably rule out its use for Air or AA firing, most certainly in the summer months.

Offline Eddie Dillon

• View Profile
Gormo Summer Shoot
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 11:25:31 am »
Yeah, you're probably right about Donegal. I honestly don't know what will happen when it's sold.

With regard to the railway, although the army have a liason officer who liases (if that's a word) with everything and everyone (Dublin and Baldonnel airports, Drogheda port, Navy and anyone else) I've often seen firing take place as trains go past. In fact the drivers often slow down to get a good look. There is no real problem as the line is situated directly to the rear of the firing point and well outside of the arc of fire. These are the arcs in which the guns can only fire, roughly 30 degrees each side of the barrell. If they go outside the arcs (which are well marked), the Flycatcher radar will not fire the guns.

Obviously if any person or vehicle goes into the red flag area (the beach and general area marked by the flags) then firing must cease but as the railway is directly to the rear, the danger to it is probably nil, or close enough to it that the trains are allowed through at all times.

Offline 202

• View Profile
Gormo Summer Shoot
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 12:49:12 pm »
I am trying to visualise Gormo and I had thought that the rail line was between the airstrip/camp and the beach. So are the guns located on the beach? Perhaps I have the configuration mixed up here.

However the point would I guess still be relevant for the aircraft who presumably must pass over the line on their approach to the targets offshore.

Offline Eddie Dillon

• View Profile
Gormo Summer Shoot
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2005, 09:06:45 pm »
I'll pm you with the layout sure, don't want to be posting anything I shouldn't!

Offline 202

• View Profile
Gormo Summer Shoot
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 10:21:57 am »
Thank's Eddie, I have a fair idea of the location, didn't think that there was enough space east of the rail line for the gun emplacements but thank you for clarification.

Offline Eddie Dillon

• View Profile
Gormo Summer Shoot
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2005, 01:00:29 am »
No prob at all. I'm not an expert on the place or anything, you probably know more about the place than me!

Offline futurepilot

• View Profile
Gormo Summer Shoot
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2005, 11:39:39 pm »
You can google earth is aswell I`m sure.

Offline Eddie Dillon

• View Profile
Gormo Summer Shoot
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2005, 01:16:36 pm »
There's no high-res imagery of Meath though